Since Adobe introduced its Creative Cloud I as a UI/UX designer was enjoying frequent updates of the whole application suite having all the time the latest and the best version of the product. But sometimes those updates bring some features changes that cause a bit of frustration because they hinder your routine. This post is about such a recent change that was bothering me a couple of hours.
Last week, after the After Effects 16.1.3. (in which I started the project) has been updated to version 17.1.4, at first everything looked as usual, but when I started to work and imported an Adobe Illustrator CC file into the project, I got different types of elements from the imported file.
Before importing Illustrator files in After Effects project, you need to create a new composition, by setting time duration, dimension, ratio, etc. There are several ways to import Adobe Illustrator file in After Effects. My preferred way to import files is by double-clicking in the Project panel, choosing the file, and setting the parameters as shown in the screenshot:
Using After Effects 17.1.4, I imported a file, but suddenly elements in the Project panel had different time limitations - without the possibility of extending and changing the time duration represented through the frames. In the screenshots below, you can notice the difference between imported elements before:
and after the update in the Project and Time panel:
With such a restriction, in my case every element was presented in 11 frames time duration (as you can see it in the screenshot below):
Researching how to solve the issue, I found a way to easily achieve the desired goal by simply dragging and dropping the Adobe Illustrator file into the Project panel, and setting parameters:
If you have been or are in a similar situation as I was, always try at first the simplest solution, which in most cases is the right solution to your issue. Having constantly updated application has a lot of advantages, but can - in some rare cases - create frustration if the used to and common application behavior suddenly changes. I hope this post could help you a bit if you have encountered this or a similar issue.
If you have any further questions or comments, please contact us.